Thursday, August 25, 2011

26.2 Miles of Baseball


Great day today! Meeting with Jim Weldon from ClubhouseGas and Will Cowan from Kennesaw State University was very productive.
Be on the look out for new videos and written content for coaches, parents and players. We will unveil new practice drills and practice planners.
One lesson, I was reminded of today, is how every significant accomplishment in life is a journey. 
My dreams of playing in the Big Leagues are a distant memory. 

Unless of course, there is a team that wants to sign a solid .215 hitting catcher that doesn’t throw quite as well as he did 15 years ago, to a one year deal...then I’m your guy! 

But when making it to the Major Leagues was a goal of mine, it required a “marathon mentality”.
Perseverance, dedication and commitment are qualities that I learned from my time in the Minor Leagues. Even though, I fell short of making it to the Bigs, I still draw on these traits everyday. 

Especially after an exciting day like today.
We came up with grand plans and lofty goals. However, I know that it will be more like a marathon than a sprint to accomplish all that we set out before us. 
BASEBALL LESSON...
Parents and coaches that look at situations with the journey in mind have a much more positive (and meaningful) impact on their kids’ lives. 
I have seen too many father son relationships ruined for a lifetime because the dad/coach took a myopic approach to a situation. 
The destruction that a dad can inflict in a 30 second tirade could indelibly mark his son’s memory for the rest of his life. 
Now Trust me...I’ve messed this one up as bad as any dad could have. 

Over time and a lot of positive reinforcement you can make amends and build your son back up. However, avoiding the tirade altogether is the best approach. 

I find that when I look at baseball or life as a sprint their is more pressure and more mistakes made.
Remember baseball like life is a game of failure, adjustments and perseverance.
Make it your goal to get the most out of your short time in baseball. Realize the enjoyment of seeing new places, meeting new friends and competing against great teams. 
For the most part, kids makes mistakes at the same rate as other kids, but when your outlook is journey minded or the marathon mentality you can ride out the slumps a little better. And more importantly you can appreciate and enjoy the highs associated with baseball.
I know in this ridiculously fast paced world we live in it is counter-culture to discuss “the journey” but I believe it to be the best approach. 

Not only is it a great way to view baseball, it is a great way to live life.
Anybody want to run a marathon with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment