Thursday, March 4, 2010

Outlook- -Not MS Outlook

"Your outlook is determined by who you are looking out for".--Bill Winston

When I heard that, I immediately thought of baseball (of course).

Baseball is a team sport that is made up of individual accomplishments. The batter facing the pitcher is a one on one battle until the ball is hit. A shortstop fielding a ground ball is on his own when fielding the hard grounder. But it takes the team dynamic of throwing to the first baseman to record the out.

Baseball blends the talents and abilities of individuals into the team concept like no other sport. Relying so heavily on the individual players is why it is easy for players to sometimes loose focus on the team and merely concentrate on the individual.

Numbers and statistics are a nostalgic part of the game. They are a way in which we can compare players from generations past to current superstars. Individual accomplishments are a huge part of the game. However, numbers can become an obstacle to our "outlook" or perception when they become to inwardly focused.

Quick side journey...
The numbers were never very kind to me as a player. In fact, one season my goal going into spring training  was to hit my weight. The season before I had caught a lot of grief from my teamates because my batting average (.183) was less than my weight (225 lbs.) a lot less. Knowing that I struggled offensively, my approach was to report to spring training at 205 lbs. I thought I might have a chance if I met in the middle.

BTW-That season I did end up with a higher batting average than my weight but it was due to an injury that limited my number of at bats.

Being a dad/coach my outlook is somewhat divided. On one hand, I have to look out for the well being and development of my kid. After all, that is why I do this. On the other hand, I have to look out for the over all well being of an entire team. Blending these two perspectives is where the challenge arises not just for coaches but for parents as well.

My goal as a coach this season is to learn how to balance the role of coach within the context of dad. We all want our kids to be great at whatever it is they do. At the same time, I think it is vitally important to use baseball to teach the importance of the "team". I firmly believe that the only way to win a championship is to win it as a team. You have to learn to look out for your teammates in good times and in bad.

Looking out for the well being of others before yourself is a valuable life lesson that baseball teaches.

Telling the Greatest Story Ever Told Through the Greatest Game Ever Played

BTW- The Bible teaches this life lesson also...If you study the Bible then you have to check this passage out Philippians 2:1-11. It is exactly what I want to teach my kids about "outlook".

Remember "your outlook is determined by who you are looking out for".

Have a Great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment