Wednesday, February 24, 2010

First Day of Baseball Practice


Even though it is a chilly 41 degrees out, the sun is shining and we have our first field practice of the season today at 5:30!! I love living in the south.

As a former professional player and a baseball instructor since 1991 "Consulting" teams has been relatively easy. Being the head coach of my 10 year old's travel baseball team is were the rubber really meets the road.

This blog is to shed some light on my experiences as a dad, husband and a coach as it relates to the experiences of youth baseball.

Our team has adopted many of the same ideas that I have implemented with other teams over the years...Novel ideas like:
  • Positive and clear communication works great
  • Getting better at baseball is a process that takes time
  • Winning is more fun than loosing so let's have fun
  • Some of life's hardest lessons can be easily taught on the field if coaches are intentional
Our goals for the season are pretty straight forward
  • Keep the game fun for the kids (they are 10)
  • Emphasize hit the ball, catch the ball, throw the ball
  • Play every play to the end
  • Run hard, Play hard
Playing baseball tournaments presents several interesting dynamics

  • ...Pool play games don't really matter
  • ...Elimination games win at all cost

Our goal is to teach the importance of always doing your best. Although winning is not the only thing nor is it the most important thing, I do believe that winning is habitual. It is difficult to turn effort on and off. I really hope my boys bring a desire and an effort to each game that will provide them with an opportunity to win the game.

Here is a Hitting Drill that has been very effective to get my kids to keep their eye on the ball and to increase their bat speed.








Baseball---
---Telling the Greatest Story Ever Told Through the Greatest Game Ever Played


One of my favorite verses to share with my team is found in 1 Corinthians 9 verses 24-27

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Run(Play) to win everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment